RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   e-Readers (Kindle, Nook, etc.) (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85972)

JustJon 12-24-2009 05:00 PM

e-Readers (Kindle, Nook, etc.)

I was at Barnes and Noble today and finally got to play with a Nook. I thought it was hard to deal with the delay in the pages turning and the screen flashes of the e-ink, so I was wondering if anyone here has a Kindle, Nook, Sony e-Reader, etc. and how they liked them and how they dealt with the page turning.

KnoxHarrington 12-24-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJon (Post 2638680)
I was at Barnes and Noble today and finally got to play with a Nook. I thought it was hard to deal with the delay in the pages turning and the screen flashes of the e-ink, so I was wondering if anyone here has a Kindle, Nook, Sony e-Reader, etc. and how they liked them and how they dealt with the page turning.

That's definitely a drawback with e-ink. I haven't found it distracting personally, but I can see how some could.

JustJon 12-24-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnoxHarrington (Post 2638703)
That's definitely a drawback with e-ink. I haven't found it distracting personally, but I can see how some could.

I think it's something I could get used to over time, I was curious how others have dealt with it.

spoon 12-24-2009 09:25 PM

Sony pocket reader and it's pretty solid thus far. Who the fuck is this I'm talking to?

Suspect Chin 12-24-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon (Post 2638820)
Sony pocket reader and it's pretty solid thus far. Who the fuck is this I'm talking to?

Did you two plan this time to meet on here and reconcile? It is christmas after all.

KnoxHarrington 12-24-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJon (Post 2638816)
I think it's something I could get used to over time, I was curious how others have dealt with it.

It seemed to me to be about the same length of time it usually takes to flip a page in a book.

It's just that your'e going to be doing it a lot more often. A book that runs, say, 500 pages in print will probably take up a few thousand screens (depending on font size) on a Kindle, Nook, or Sony Reader.

spoon 12-24-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suspect Chin (Post 2638829)
Did you two plan this time to meet on here and reconcile? It is christmas after all.

He's jewish.

JustJon 12-26-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnoxHarrington (Post 2638851)
It seemed to me to be about the same length of time it usually takes to flip a page in a book.

It's just that your'e going to be doing it a lot more often. A book that runs, say, 500 pages in print will probably take up a few thousand screens (depending on font size) on a Kindle, Nook, or Sony Reader.

I did notice the shorter pages when playing with the nook, didn't know if that was standard for all readers or just that one.

KnoxHarrington 07-30-2010 06:33 AM

Well, it looks like the e-readers are in something of a price war. Amazon has put out a new, wi-fi only version of the Kindle for $139, soon after Barnes & Noble cut the price of the Nook to $149. I think these are starting to get down to the price they need to be to compete with the iPad and other devices: at this price, I can see someone who has an iPad and the Kindle app deciding that this would be nice to have too just for reading and picking one up as well.

I love my Kindle, even though since I paid $249 for it just about 3 months ago I'm feeling a teensy bit assraped right now. But it's a kickass device, and I've really been reading a lot more since I got it. And as the price plummets, I feel more comfortable telling people they should run out and get one of these things. They rule.

Pitdoc 07-30-2010 07:44 AM

I like the Ipad..

...though it is a bit hard to read in direct sunlight, unlike a Kindle.But then you can't play Plants vs Zombies on a Kindle

OGC 12-25-2010 06:13 AM

I got a nook color for Christmas. I've managed to navigate over to here to post this.

Does anyone know if I can download cool apps for my nook like others have for droids and Ipods?

furie 12-25-2010 07:27 AM

i bought a wi-fi kindle for my mother and she loves it.

JohnGacysCrawlSpace 12-25-2010 08:17 AM

I like my old fashioned analog collection on my shelves.

Kublakhan61 12-25-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnGacysCrawlSpace (Post 2801064)
I like my old fashioned analog collection on my shelves.

So do I but the nook allows me to read larger texts on the go without having to haul the weight of them. Standing on a train holding a light e-reader vs. standing on a train holding a print copy of Ulysses ... c'mon! No contest.

spoon 12-25-2010 12:11 PM

I bought myself a few BOOKS with paper pages. They look so weird but I'm so retro it's cool!

STC-Dub 12-25-2010 01:30 PM

I am waiting until I can get a tablet, want a little more versatility than the e-readers provide.

OGC 12-25-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STC-Dub (Post 2801087)
I am waiting until I can get a tablet, want a little more versatility than the e-readers provide.

I haven't played with the nook too much but it can connect to the internet via wifi.

I hear that with a software hack, that I can load android apps.

KnoxHarrington 12-25-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGC (Post 2801096)
I haven't played with the nook too much but it can connect to the internet via wifi.

I hear that with a software hack, that I can load android apps.

Here's the steps to do it, and make it pretty much a full-featured Android tab:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

You could actually root it and install the Kindle app on there, so you can buy books for it from Amazon.com as well.

OGC 12-25-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnoxHarrington (Post 2801098)
Here's the steps to do it, and make it pretty much a full-featured Android tab:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

You could actually root it and install the Kindle app on there, so you can buy books for it from Amazon.com as well.

Yes, I read the instructions for the rooting and it does mention that it may void the warranty. Since it is just a software change and from what it sounds to me, it is completely reversible, what is your opinion about the warranty ?

I guess I'm a little scared of doing this on a brand new device.

Snacks 12-25-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon (Post 2801078)
I bought myself a few BOOKS with paper pages. They look so weird but I'm so retro it's cool!

must you always try to be funny? can you ever stay on topic?

spoon 12-25-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

(Kindle, Nook etc.)
It is on topic thread nazi. Also, try reading back when the thread wasn't over a year old and I discussed my sony reader you cunt.

OGC 12-27-2010 05:23 PM

Well I took the leap and rooted my nook. It worked great. I've installed some droid apps , slacker, facebook, dolphin browser, even angry birds.

My book now works like a droid tablet.

Wahoooooo

Snacks 12-27-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGC (Post 2801639)
Well I took the leap and rooted my nook. It worked great. I've installed some droid apps , slacker, facebook, dolphin browser, even angry birds.

My book now works like a droid tablet.

Wahoooooo

how did you do that and can you do it on any e-reader? I was thinking about getting the sharper image literati its on sale at best buy for $49

STC-Dub 12-28-2010 04:16 PM

Finally broke down and got one. Circuit City.com had the Velocity Micro Android Cruz reader for $119, figured for less than a Kindle it was worth taking a shot on.

OGC 12-28-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks (Post 2801652)
how did you do that and can you do it on any e-reader? I was thinking about getting the sharper image literati its on sale at best buy for $49

I don't know about other e-readers. The Nook is android based with a Barnes and Noble software shell that is fairly easy to hack.